My Blog List

Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Hidden Web

Our set text, "The Hidden Web" by Maureen Henniger, has been an extremely valuable resource for me, as I will be the first to admit that I have alot to learn about "finding quality information on the web". I have attempted to refine my searches to ensure I am being as time efficient as possible as well as finding the quality of information I need.  Through Henniger I have discovered the best process to refine my searches.  According to Henniger I am able to do this through broadening my search, narrowing my search or changing the focus of my search.  By utilising different search engines (Chapter 9), I am discovering efficient ways of achieving this goal.  I completed my first Boolean search recently.  I did this through using 'boolify'.  It took a bit of getting used to but I feel more confident using this search engine.

This text has set out very clearly for me, all the options available  to do simple and advanced searches.  I still feel as though I am finding my feet with all the various search engines and databases. However, as an educator, I feel it is crucial to keep up-to-date and familiarise myself with as many search engines and databases as possible.  I have spent a great deal of time investigating these,  linked to my searches involving information literacy within a scientific inquiry context.

No comments:

Post a Comment