My Blog List

Sunday, August 15, 2010

"Science by Doing"

Investigated Google Scholar with "Alternatives in Energy" - the number of hits were out of this world!  Then I tried "Guided Inquiry into Sources of Energy" which reduced the number of hits but not by much.  Finally, I googled "Blogs" and came across "Science by Doing".  It is managed by the Australian Academy of Science in partnership with CSIRO.  One interesting quote I found in this blog was: "The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them (Sir William Bragg 1862-1942).

Another website I came across was NOVA-Science in the news, also published by the Australian Academy of Science.  It has links to What is Energy?, renewable energy and non-renewable energy.  This gives me basic information about my ILA, but does not provide me with a model of inquiry.  However, there was a link within this website to "Substantive Conversation".  This model of inquiry links well to a science based ILA.  The features of substantive conversation includes:


  • intellectual substance
  • dialogue
  • logical extension and synthesis
  • a sustained exchange
This model is explained in more detail in the following link:
http://education.qld.gov.au/corporate/newbasics/html/pedagogies/intellect/int4a.html


I have included the mind map I constructed for my ILA and my own mind map for my own learning journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment